Within the IATI activity standard organisations can be declared in three ways:
- reporting-org - the organisation publishing the activity file and associated data.
- participating-org - the organisation that has a role within the activity (there can be various roles)
- provider-org / receiver-org - the organisation providing or receiving a specific transaction
When using the IATI activity standard to declare organisations, the following should be considered:
- In many cases, an activity file will contain information from the perspective of a single organisation. Most commonly, this will be the same as the reporting-org
- It is also expected that this organisation would be cited as a participating-org, along with their associated role(s).
- It is possible for multiple participating-org to be reported within a single activity.
- Multiple participating-org with the same OrganisationRole code are also feasible.
- For reporting-org and participating-org inclusion of the OrganisationType code is recommended.
- In all cases, when describing an organisation, reference to their associated unique identifier should be included.
- Should a provider-org or receiver-org within a transaction be the same as the reporting-org it is not expected that they are declared, but recommended.
In version 2.01, the following must also be considered:
- A reporting-org is a mandatory element
- A participating-org with OrganisationRole of funding (code 1) and/or implementing (code 4) is mandatory.
- A reporting-org identifier must start with a value published on the OrganisationRegistrationAgency codelist.
- Any freetext name for an organisation, must be included in the child narrative element, which can be repeated for different languages.
Please consider and refer to the Organisation Identifiers guidance when constructing an appropriate identifier.