Within the IATI activity standard it is expected that classifications information is provided for any iati-activity
- sector - the thematic category (or set of categories) an iati-activity operates with
Additionally, the following classifications enable the publication of various codes (often associated with CRS++ reporting)
When using the IATI activity standard to declare documents, the following should be considered:
- An iati-activity can have singular or multiple sector
- When multiple sector are described, then a @percentage should be declared for each. This should sum to 100% for each iati-activity.
- A @vocabulary can be declared when describing a sector. This should be on the Vocabulary codelist.
- If no @vocabulary is declared, then the DAC 5 digit codelist is assumed.
- A reporting-org can declare their own @vocabulary, via using the RO (Reporting Org) Vocabulary code.
- Multiple or singular policy-marker can also be described. Unlike sector, a percentage is not required.
- The classifications of default-finance-type, default-flow-type, default-aid-type and default-tied-status apply to the whole iati-activity. These can be overridden within a single transaction via using any of finance-type , flow-type , aid-type and/or tied-status.
- If an iati-activity is either wholly tied, partially tied or untied it is recommended that the appropriate default-tied-status code is used.
- If an iati-activity has more than one tied status it is recommended that the reported commitment(s) are split into the relevant tied, untied and/or partially-tied amounts and tied-status is reported at transaction level. (NB that tied status should be reported for commitments only.)
In version 2.01, the following must also be considered:
- A sector is mandatory.
- Descriptive text / name is no longer supported for any classification elements.
- A sector can also be published as child elements of a transaction. When this is done, it is expected that all transaction include such data, whilst sector is subsequently not included at the iati-activity level.