Within the IATI activity standard there are three ways to describe the geography of an iati-activity:
- recipient-country - the country that will benefit from the iati-activity.
- recipient-region - geopolitical region (above the country level) that will benefit from the iati-activity.
- location - a geographical location of the iati-activity.
In addition, the following can also be utilised:
- activity-scope - to classify the geographic coverage of the the iati-activity.
When using the IATI activity standard to describe geography, the following should be considered:
- When describing the recipient-country the relevant Country code must be used.
- When describing the recipient-region the relevant Region code must be used.
- It is possible to have multiple recipient-country in an iati-activity
- It is possible to have multiple recipient-region in an iati-activity
- When declaring multiple recipient-country or recipient-region then a pecentage must be declared. These must sum to 100%.
- If a recipient-country is known, then a recipient-region is not expected.
- If a recipient-country is not known, then a recipient-region is expected.
- The free-text instances of name and description in location should avoid use of text in CAPITALS.
- The activity-scope element should only be used once. It must use a relevant ActivityScope code.